Happy Birthday to ME!
No, I’m not 35. I’m 36 today. What just passed was my 35th year.
#Thriveat35 was my mantra for the year. I didn’t make a big deal out of it. I didn’t post it everywhere. I told only a few friends, half-heartedly because frankly…. I didn’t know what it really meant & what it would look like.
Could I really #Thriveat35?
Now that my 35th year is drawing to a close, I would say that I did indeed #Thriveat35
What did that look like? What does it look like to #Thriveat35? TBH, it looked like a big ole crazy, scary, season-ending, mind-boggling, jumping off cliffs, sloppy, broke-*** mess!
Here’s what I learned in this 35th year (in no particular order).
- I wanted the New Beginning but avoided the Ending. The two are connected.
- PERSPECTIVE IS EVERYTHING.
- Say yes to things that scare the CRAP out of me.
- Sisterhood group chats are essentially the “hype man” that every good rapper needs; they repeat all the good parts for emphasis. Don’t begrudge your role as “hype man” for you will need one soon.
- Success lies in habits.
- There is no formula. They’re lying if they say there is.
- Early rising is life-giving & life-saving.
- The Bible be right. For real.
- Making the bed helps me focus throughout the day.
- Healthy partnership is essential for…so many things.
- I could be wrong. That is completely okay.
- Marrying my husband? #OneoftheBestDecisionsIveEverMade
- Addendum to the above: Only marry #ThriveEnablers
- Rooting for (or clapping) at someone else’s trouble shows what’s really in my heart.
- The sound my feet make walking away from things not meant for me is music.
- There is a peace in not having it all figured out.
- Sometimes self-care is getting my ish done.
- I cannot serve both God & Money.
- I cannot serve both God & my Ego.
- I cannot serve both God & my insecurities (which is essentially my Ego)
- I cannot serve both God and YOU as Ruler in my life.
- God is speaking. I’m the one with the hearing problem.
- Kindness matters. So much.
- Being kind to myself matters even more.
- Love TRULY COVERS a multitude of sins.
- Learn other people’s lessons too.
- God IS and always has been waiting for me.
- I’m my own competition, I’m competing with myself.
- I’m not late. I’m not behind.
- My voice matters & has POWER.
- Decisions have consequences. Sometimes God graced me that I didn’t feel the full effects. Sometimes He graced me to feel it in as much fullness as I could take. Both are GRACE.
- Discovery of my “whys” has been the best part of the year.
- My brain is expensive.
35 has been a most enlightening year. I’ve learned so much about myself, what makes me tick & what I’m capable of. The best thing I’ve learned is…
35. Candace, accept your magic.
It’s so much easier to pick out every flaw. Those, I’m already intimately acquainted with. I wanted to meet my magic. And, I did.
I’m interested to see what 36 has for me. I have so many projects in the works. Projects that make me excited. Stories that need to be told. Creativity, that is a direct result of me discovering my “whys”.
I don’t have a cute hashtag for 36. Yet. Leave your suggestions in the comments below along with anything you’ve learned this past year.
A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. – Proverbs 16:9 KJV
Soundtrack for this blog is brought to you by B. Reith ft. PJ Morton – For Once in my Life.
2 thoughts on “#Thriveat35”
Awesome blog. This has my heart stirring.
Persist at 36 maybe….
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My favorite lesson out of your 35 is “The sound my feet make walking away from things not meant for me is music.”